Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Chug-a-Lug You Strawberry Man!

     Who ever thought Puff Daddy would make any sense? "When you hear a song, make sure you hear it right, don't make an ass out of yourself by assuming..." Here is a blog I have been meaning to write since I started this blog a year ago...so if you don't remember what a "mondegreen" is...or if you are too lazy to look at my first blog, wikipedia describes it as mishearing a lyric in almost perfect homophony. Now we've all heard people say they thought kiss the sky was Hendrix singing " 'scuse me while I kiss this guy."(which is actually how Jimi got out of the army...but that;s neither here nor there right now.) The term Mondegreen came from an old song where the singer said "I shot him and laid him on the green." I guess people freaked when they thought they said "and Lady Mondegreen" (what did she ever do?) Even Ellen DeGeneres got it wrong thinking the Eagles were singing "Wipe in the Vaseline." There are some good ones out there, let's make fun of the people who hear it wrong! (Myself included.)



     You know the term Gringo is based off a mondegreen? It's true, myth has it that the Americans were singing this old drinking song called "Green Grow the Lilacs," and the Mexicans overheard, and well...history was made. Now I have been known to have this happen before, when I was little (these examples ranging from when I was 10-14,) I heard the song "Across the River" by Bruce Hornsby, and I would sing "Some fine day, we will find our way...Fossarilla, Fossarilla." What the hell was a Fossarilla? Oh...across the river...don't look at me, I'm dumb. Also Alanis Morrisette saying the cross eyed bear that you gave to me? Oh...cross I bear. I thought Dave Coulier gave her a cross eyed stuffed bear, how would I know? I always knew it was bad moon on the rise, but Erik and I would love saying "there's the bathroom on the right." My friend had a Christian song called "I Exalt Thee" and said when she was little she thought it said "I salt thee." I mean who blames the Beatles wondering if they will be needed when they are 6 feet 4...oh...it's 64?


     I once heard someone sing "Chug-a-lug you strawberry man" in public to Jungle Love by Steve Miller, and when I bought a book (an excellent read if you like funny comics) called "'scuse me while I kiss this guy" oddly enough that and the next example were in that book. Erik was dating a girl once and I was friends with her little sister, and I was telling her that people thought the song "Our Lips are Sealed" by the Go-Go's (then more popular by her as the song covered by the Duff sisters...)  was Alex the Seal. Now the funniest part is the girl he was dating actually thought it was Alex the seal. Well I won't give away any more of the book...in case you want to read it.

     Now some bands will sing their misheard lyric (the previously noted Hendrix, Manfred Mann, and ELO) live when they heard about it. Imagine hearing "Don't bring me down BRRRUUUUCEEE" or "wrapped up like a douche" at a concert. most fans would be scared and confused, and wonder what was going on.

     Well if I give all my examples, I might as well have written out that entire book, and I don't want to do that. So until next time, keep hitting the HIGH NOTES! (and get your damn hearing checked...)

No comments:

Post a Comment